The benefice of Thwing was a rectory of two medieties from the 13 century. One in the patronage of the Lords of Thwing and the other given by John de Harpham to the Bridlington Priory, each with it's own rector until the Dissolution when the advowson passed to the Crown.
There is an unbroken series of over 80 rectors from 1180 to the present time.
Our beautiful church of All Saints is in the diocese of York.The church dates back from the 12th century and retains several features of the original Norman construction, but the prevailing style of the architecture is that of the 13th and 14th centuries. The chancel arch is typically Norman with plain shafts and carved capitals. The south doorway is of the same period with shafts with spiral ornamentation and carved capitals, and a well preserved tympanum with a carving of the Paschal Lamb below a zig-zag arch. The Norman font with it's lozenge-shaped pattern is reputed to th have come from Sewerby and was installed at Thwing in the early 19th century. The north aisle of the church was added in the late 13th century and extended to accommodate a chantry dedicated to St Thomas a Becket. It is separated from the naïve by an arcade of five piers. Within the arcade is a recumbent effigy of a priest holding a chalice and thought to be that of Thomas, last baron of Thwing.
The window in the south chancel is of great interest . It depicts the arms of the Archiepiscopal see of York, those of the ancient barons of Thwing, and the house of Lumley, lords of the manor. TH S.E. nave window is an original three-light 14th century window with a tomb recess below it.
The south porch was erected as a memorial to Archbishop Lampugh and incorporates a 14th century stoup and fragments of ancient carvings.
A carved oak pulpit with brass candelabra was added in 1910 and the brass lectern was a gift from Sir Tatton Sykes at about the same time.
The church has two bells, one installed in 1720 and made by Samuel Smith, and the other in 1762 made by E. Seller, both of York.
The church clock is very rare, with a special escapement for accuracy. It was made by James Harrison circa 1840, of the same family of John Harrison who invented the chronometer.
Source: Thwing handbook Churches of the Yorkshire Wolds (2)
Our church officials are:
Rev'd Jacki Tonkin Associate Vicar SSM Monument Lodge, Back Street, Langtoft Tel: 01377 267149
Rev's Stuart Grant SSM Assistant Curate 104 Front St. Lockington Tel: 07795 560065
Mr T Burdass Warden Tel: 01262 470244
Mrs Burdass Warden Tel: 01262 470201
Mr M Lockwood Treasurer Tel:
Evening prayer is said each Tuesday at 4.00pm.
"We are always keen to pray for any concerns and will always add your request into our prayers at services. Please just let Rev Jacki or Carl Morley know, and if you would like a visit please also let us know"